Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Turtles Have Built in Compasses


Would you believe me if I told you that turtles have built in compasses? Well they do. It leads them to their place of birth. They also reproduce at their home beach. Turtles rely on Earth's magnetic field. Scientists believe that turtles track their home turf’s magnets. Each hatchling registers their home’s unique magnetic coordinate. When they leave, they follow ocean currents to different regions. When they are ready to reproduce, they automatically go home and lay their eggs there. This is called geomagnetic imprinting, which means absorbing the magnetic fields shortly after their birth. I think this relates to our science class because we were studying water animals and this is a cool fact about an ocean reptile. I found all of this here. Check out the turtle video at this website! (By Sofia)

2 comments:

  1. Who knew?! I appreciate this fun fact about internal compasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew?! I appreciate this fun fact about internal compasses.

    ReplyDelete