Thursday, December 17, 2015

Otters

Otters are otterly amazing animals. I chose Otters for my post because they are super fascinating. I always thought that otters were always in water, but actually they spend more time on land, being in water is just a stereotype. Otters live in freshwater habitats, such as lakes, rivers, and ponds. But there are sea otters too, living off the coast of the Northern Pacific, in shallow waters. Otters are carnivores, their main food source being fish. Otters were around over 4 million years ago. If you had to guess who was related to otters, you may guess the beaver because they both swim, and you would be wrong. They are actually related to badgers, ferrets, and minks. Otter’s tales are surprisingly long, about one third of their body length. Otters tend to live to around ten years old, but much longer in captivity. Otters are very skilled creatures. One of the cool things they make are their own dens just like beavers, also they have special vision that makes them able to see very small food sources that other organisms may not be able to see because they have very tiny eyes. You may not think this, but it is true. Otters are super fantastic, and I loved studying them! By now you should all love otters! To find out more info, go to Otter-world.com. To see an adorable video of a orphaned sea otter pup go to https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NWxYDKXJV2c. (by Violet)


2 comments:

  1. Violet, I already loved otters but I learned more about them thanks to you. They seem smart and like they have good senses of humor. When we lived in Seward, Alaska, we used to go down the harbor and watch the sea otters hanging out under the fishermen's work stations waiting for scraps of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I love otters too.

    ReplyDelete