Friday, October 16, 2015

South Carolina Ant Raft


In South Carolina there was recently a flood and in order to save themselves the fire ants built an ant raft. When the water starts to flood, worker ants link together with their legs and mouths to form the base of the raft. The process can take less than two minutes. Then the ants move the queen and larvae on to the center of the raft where they can stay safe and dry. The ant raft can survive for several weeks if not eaten by fish and other sea creatures first. If too many of the ants get eaten the raft will collapse and the ants will not survive. Also if the ants do not reach land they will not survive. I chose this topic because I thought it was really interesting to see how that species survives. (by Jesse)

Please click here to watch a video about the ant raft. 

8 comments:

  1. I like how you did a topic that probably not many people know about. I think that this was a cool topic to choose because it is very different from the others and the video helped emphasize your point. This connects to our class because it is an adaptation that they know to build rafts and save the queen. I wonder if any other species do something like this to save their queen or leader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this blog post is very interesting. I never knew that ants could build a raft, or anything at all! I wonder how they do it. Ants must be pretty smart if they could build a raft. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this blog post is very interesting.
    I had no clue that ants could build a raft or any thing at all...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no clue ants could build anything ether until I wrote this artical

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's really cool that ants could do that. Your facts were very dis riptide good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Next time I visit the south and get bitten by fire ants, I will remember to admire their survival skills.

    ReplyDelete