Thursday, October 22, 2015

Soft vs Hard Shell Maine Lobsters


Many lobsters are affected by the ocean waters. Water temperature plays a role in lobsters' movement because when it is cold, lobsters do not move much to feed. In 2012 and 2013 the ocean was warmer because of mild winters. There were a lot of lobsters and they shed their shells early in this season because of the warmer water. This means they molted their shells. Young lobsters molt five times a year and older lobsters molt once a year. Soft shell lobsters are lower in price. The winters of 2014 and 2015 were very cold. The ocean water was very cold and the lobster prices went up because the shells were hard. Lobsterman were making more money in 2014 and 2015. Weather impacts Maine lobsters. I chose this topic because I wanted to learn more about lobsters.


                                          red bands is soft shell and  blue bands is hard shell
Even though the picture does not show a difference in appearance, the soft shell lobster has a paper thin shell. It weighs less. (by Tim)


3 comments:

  1. You have picked a topic that Mainers will, most of the time find very interesting because lobster is very important to our community

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your facts were very dis riptide and it is very cool that lobsters can be so different

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate learning more about lobsters since they are so important to life in Maine. I didn't know why some lobsters had soft shells and others had hard.

    ReplyDelete