I was looking for something to write about and I found this...the Glaucus Atlanticus, or the blue sea slug! This amazing creature is found in the tropical Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans. The Sea slugs diet includes Portuguese man-o-war and other blue sea slugs. The Glaucus eats the tentacles of man-o-war and while eating, nematocysts from the man-o-war are stored in a pouch for protection later on. The Glaucus is a hermaphrodite which means it has both female and male reproductive organs. This sea slug floats upside down to blend in with the water and they go where the wind takes them. If someone is unlucky enough to pick one of these up it could lead to a pretty painful sting. One weird fact about the Glaucus is that it has cerata which are like arms. The Glaucus has a close relative called the Glaucus marginatus. These two sea slugs look very similar. This creature connects to life science because it's an important part of the ecosystem. My conclusion is that this creature is also a real life Pokemon. Click here to read more about this creature. (by Eli)
| Glaucus marginatus |
I love the pictures
ReplyDelete