Have you ever heard about rock snot? If you have then you know how disgusting it is. Now, I can imagine your puzzlement. Where did this thing come from, how come I've never heard of it? Well here's why. This is Didymosphenia geminata, known as rock snot, or didymo for short. It's not harmful to humans, thankfully. What it does is that it takes up space and it kills off smaller organisms in rivers which could collapse the entire ecological system. It also plugs drainage pipes and when it gets to the dams in rivers it clogs them up which can cause damage. The thing is that humans caused this huge explosion of algae, with the help from a little phosphorus. Although it is not actually an invasive species anywhere (except for New Zealand), what I am trying to say is that this is real and it’s bad. (by Elijah)
Sources: BBC and Muse Magazinehttp://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20140922-green-snot-takes-over-worlds-rivers
I like how gross it looks I would never want to touch that. Hopefully rock snot will not come to Maine
ReplyDeleteI liked your hook. It kept me interested. You did a great job!
ReplyDeleteThat thing is really cool yet bad. I loved your choice of words. NICE JOB.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very unique blog post. I never heard of rock snot. But now I know what it is. This is very creative blog post. Once you start reading, you can't stop! Awesome job!
ReplyDeleteRock snot rocks! Amazing topic!
ReplyDeleteI really liked how used a hook and it looks very gross but it is very interesting at the same time.
ReplyDeleteI had never heard of rock snot and appreciate the introduction. This is one more reason we should reduce, reuse, recycle in an effort to mitigate pollution.
ReplyDelete