Thursday, November 5, 2015

Land Hermit Crabs


Ouch! Watch your fingers! These crustaceans can be defensive if you don't treat them well. The Hermit Crab is an interesting animal. It has one big claw and a small one; it drags the big claw around because it's too heavy for the crab to hold up. They drag it around like an injured leg! Usually the big claw is colored purple or blue. They can eat mostly fruits, vegetables and little pellets of compacted food. I usually feed my Hermit Crabs pellets and vegetables to keep them healthy. A Hermit Crab’s life span is about 30 to 70 years in its own habitat; that's a long time for a little crustacean. But after being removed from its habitat and put in captivity it only lives for up to about a year. Hermit Crabs in captivity actually die slowly from suffocation because their modified gills require high humidity in order to breathe. Hermit Crabs need lots of friends for climbing, foraging and exploring. That's why I have two Hermit Crabs named Acadia and Baxter. Click here for a video to see how they move around. (By Joe)

5 comments:

  1. I like how you introduced the species to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the video of the two Hermet crabs and I noticed how one crab seemed more active than the other. Was that the Acadia crab or the Baxter crab? I also wondered what was the point of the big claw if all they do is drag it around? Finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you shared some stuff about your crabs

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was interesting because you used certain complete facts witch give a very vivid image of this organism

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea that they could live that long.

    ReplyDelete