Friday, April 10, 2015

Meerkats

My animal for the book project is the meerkat and I will be telling you a little bit about it. The meerkat is an omnivore and eats anything from fruit to various types of insects, and the things that eat it are jackals, hawks, eagles, and snakes. The meerkat lives up to 10 years in the wild.  The female meerkat has 2-5 pups after a gestation period of 2 months. Meerkats live in groups and have a system of underground tunnels to move in and out of, this is called a burrow. Every day the meerkat community assigns some meerkats on sentry duty which means that if a hawk or eagle is coming they make a sharp shrill call so that all of the meerkats in their group will take cover. Meerkats have babysitters to look after their pups while they're doing other things around the burrow. The babysitters teach the pups basic skills such hunting, scaring off predators, and jobs. Click here to see a meerkat on sentry duty. I really liked this project because it taught me to put research into a project. (by Raines)

6 comments:

  1. I researched the meerkat to! You did a really good job on this and I learned a lot of new things! I liked how you included a link

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I didn't know that they lived in tunnels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your video of a meerkat on sentry duty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is a group of Meerkats called?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the information

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's cool that they have 2-5 pups

    ReplyDelete