Thursday, February 26, 2015
The Platypus
I chose the platypus because I have always wondered about its unique features. We are doing a cell unit and a platypus relates to it because the platypus is made up of cells. Platypuses lay eggs like birds however they are mammals. They are part of a species called monotremes, the only mammals that lay eggs. It is also one of the few venomous mammals the male platypus has a spur on its hind foot that can cause swelling and can be very painful to humans. Platypuses use their bills for electrolocation. Electrolocation is a sense to find prey by sensing electric fields made by muscle contractions. The platypus' electrolocation is the best out of all the mammals that use electrolocation. The platypus is semiaquatic, so they have webbed feet to help them swim. They live in small streams and rivers over a large range. A platypus' life span is 17 years in captivity. What do you know about the platypus? Click here and here to see my resources. (By Courtney)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I never knew platypuses used there bills for electrolocation good job :)
ReplyDeleteI liked how specific you were on how electro location works. I also never knew that platypi had venomous Spurs on their hind legs. Nice job😄
ReplyDeleteI did a platypus for my IP in 3rd grade! The scientific name is Ornorhynchus Anatinus
ReplyDeleteIs it platypuses or platypi
ReplyDeleteWow I never knew that platypuses were poisonous that must be a great defense!
ReplyDeleteThat so cool to be able to defend yourself with poison kind of like a snake
ReplyDeleteI think it's interesting that it's species is the only species that lays eggs. Nice work
ReplyDeleteI can t believe that they are the only animals that lay eggs!
ReplyDelete