Rabbits are herbivores that feed on grass and leafy weeds. A consequence on that is that their diet contains big amounts of cellulose which is hard to digest. Cellulose is a substance that is the main part of the cell walls of plants and that is used in making various products. Rabbits solve the problem through a form of hindgut fermentation. Hindgut fermentation is a digestive process seen in herbivores with a single chambered stomach. Hindgut fermentation is what allows rabbits to digest cellulose. Rabbits habitats include meadows, forests, woods, grasslands, deserts, and wetlands. More than half the worlds rabbit population lives in North America. They are also native to southwestern Europe, southeast Asia, Sumatra, some islands of Japan, and in parts of Africa and South America. I chose to write about rabbits because I've always thought they were an interesting animal. Did you know The World’s Largest Rabbit weighs approximately 50 pounds and is currently 4 feet, 3 inches tall. I hope this blog post expanded your knowledge on rabbits. Thanks for reading!! (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit)
By Grace
I never knew that rabbits used a digestive system called the hindgut fermentation. I liked when you mentioned the parts in the world where rabbits live.
ReplyDeleteI like how you connected it to our study of cells
ReplyDeleteI liked your post because you put a lot of thought into it! It seems like you spent more than a week on it!!
ReplyDeleteI like how carefully you described how rabbits eat and the places that they are located.
ReplyDeleteI like how you listed the places they eat and live
ReplyDelete4' 3"!?!? He's like my height! I like how you related to cellulose, something we've talked about in science
ReplyDeleteI liked all the rabbit facts. Thanks for the link! It gave me a lot of info!
ReplyDeleteI think you did awesome, I learned a lot about rabbits. I also like the link!
ReplyDelete