In the beginning of the year we learned about pond ecology and how organisms survive using adaptation. Recently scientists discovered another form of adaptation through diet. The orange-spotted filefish, which lives in the ocean, feeds on Acropora corals in Australia. Once they ingest the chemicals in the corals it causes them to take on the scent of the coral. Then they can hide from their predators such as cod fish. The filefish is vibrant blue and has orange spots on its body. This is the first time scientists have discovered an animal that camouflages with its diet. I was interested in this animal because I had never heard of an animal that camouflages with the scent from its food. What do you think about the orange-spotted filefish? Click here to read the article. ( by Katy)
I hope that scientist find more organisms like that. It's really cool I wonder what would happen if the fish ate sand would it smell like sand? Because sand doesn't really have a smell. ?
ReplyDelete😋
That's so cool!! I never knew that a animal could acquire a new scent from what they ate!!
ReplyDelete