Thursday, March 5, 2015
Animal behavior unit
Now we've switched from our cell unit to the animal behavior unit. So far we have learned about instinctive and learned behavior. Instinctive and learned behaviors help the animal survive and reproduce. Instinctive behavior is a skill that an animal is born with, that they can do perfectly the first time, like a spider building a web. Each breed of animals has their own unique features to help them do what they need to do to survive, like how fish have gills to breathe underwater, or how an eagle has good eyesight so it can catch it's prey. Learned behavior is learned over time, with lots of practice. For instance, we don't know how to play the piano right when we're born, but we can, with practice as we get older. We've also learned about imprinting, which is an animal's ability to recognize and follow the first thing they see when they're born (which is usually their mother) the next time they see it. (By Helen)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like how you put a lot of examples! I wonder what more we will learn in the unit...
ReplyDeleteI liked how you described all the behavior we learned and how you had examples!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteWay to go Helen! You provided a nice summary of what we've done so far this week, and I can tell by what you've written that you understand the material quite well. Kudos to you for adding your post directly to the blog without any assistance. You are the first 6th grader to do so!
ReplyDeleteThat was great! I loved the examples they were perfect for this! I can't wait to learn more!
ReplyDeleteI really like your example because you didn't get off topic and it's very informative.
ReplyDeleteI find it amazing how many behaviors a species can be born with.
ReplyDeleteI love it!! I like how you did all the examples for each behavior
ReplyDelete