Monday, January 26, 2015

Your REM Stage

This week I read about something you might never think of happening. But it happens most of the time to you when you sleep. When you sleep, you have rapid eye movement (REM) and it happens for about 4 to 6 hours in your sleep. That is when you dream. But the interesting part about this is that when you are in that REM stage, your body paralyzes itself so that you can't act out what you are dreaming. So, if you were throwing a baseball, your body cannot act out throwing a baseball because your body is paralyzed. Also, when you wake up in the middle of the time you are paralyzed, it is usually hard to get up quickly because your body is paralyzed. It is also usually easiest to remember your dream when you wake up in the middle of your REM stage . Don't know why, but that's how it is. It seems like it could happen to anybody, and it does. (by Ben C)

7 comments:

  1. Aha so that's why I can never get up in the middle of the night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you fully paralyzed when your in your REM stage or can you still move a little bit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder, can other people see you when you are in your REN stage? Or is it to wobble to be seen? That sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Subtle, sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. think that the fact that your body is paralyzed is freaky and cool because if you did everything in real life that you did in your dreams at night it would be very crazy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate waking up during the rem stage because I always remember my dreams. Even if I am having good dreams it always comes back to haunt me later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! It's really cool to think about what you can't control or don't even even KNOW about when you are asleep!

    ReplyDelete